Spiking can be carried out by putting alcohol or drugs in another person’s drink or body without their consent. 'Needle spiking' is when somebody is injected with drugs without their consent. 

The signs:
  • A change in the appearance or taste of your drink.
  • Feeling confused.
  • Nausea or vomiting.
  • Hallucinations and paranoia.
  • Disorientation or poor coordination.
  • Loss of ability to communicate properly.
  • Unconsciousness. 
If you think somebody you are with has been spiked, it is important to:
  • Alert a member of staff or security if you’re at a venue.
  • Stay with the person and keep talking to them.
  • Don’t let the person go home on their own or leave with someone you don’t know.
  • If you don’t know them well, the most important thing is for someone trusted to stay with them to ensure they get home safe.
  • Discourage them from drinking anymore alcohol.
  • Call 111, or if the symptoms get worse, dial 999 to request an ambulance.
We want all of our students to be able to feel safe when socialising on and off campus. Our University takes such incidents very seriously, support is available if it has happened to somebody you know.

University support for students

Report and Support is a disclosure site, which allow students to inform the University of incidents including spiking.
 Students and staff can report anonymously, or can request to speak to an advisor who is a trained member of the Student Welfare team to discuss their disclosure and options, this will be in line with University's privacy statement and does not instigate the start of formal complaint.

Spiking can be linked to other crimes such as sexual assault and robbery. The university has trained Sexual Violence Liaison Officers who can support a student if they have experienced sexual violence.

Our Counselling, Mental Health, and Wellbeing Service is also available if a student needs support with their mental health or wellbeing. 

External Support 

The act of spiking someone can come under a number of criminal offences and can be reported to the Police. This link explains how Greater Manchester Police can support somebody who has been spiked.

It is always best to speak to the person who has been spiked to give them the chance to report it themselves, however spiking can be reported without providing a name to allow the Police to identify patterns of spiking, locations of offenders, and prevent it from happening again. If you or somebody else are in immediate danger please call 999. 
If the person does not want to speak to the Police at the moment, they can still access support: 
  • Victim Support run a helpline, live chat, and have local offices for 1-2-1 support.
  • Drink Aware is a charity which aims to reduce alcohol-related harm. 
  • If the person needs help with their mental health, SHOUT provides text-based crisis support. Text SHOUT to 85258. You can also call the Greater Manchester NHS Mental Health Helpline available 24/7 on 0800 953 0285. 
If the person chooses to disclose spiking via Report and Support and speak to an advisor, they will be able to explore further signposting relevant to them.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened