Domestic and relationship abuse can be defined as an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, or violent behaviour by a current or ex-partner or family member, over the age of 16. Abuse may include emotional, physical, sexual, financial, stalking, online/digital or psychological.

Coercive control is a purposeful pattern of assaults, threats, humiliation, and/or intimidation which occur over time with the aim to exert power and control over another person.

Relationship abuse can be experienced by people across society, regardless of their age, gender, race, sexuality, class, disability, or lifestyle. It is never the fault of the person experiencing the abuse.

Due to the nature of coercive control, it can be hard to recognise if your relationship is abusive, this list can help you recognise the signs. 

If you recognise the above in your partner of family member’s behaviour, there is support available.

University support for students

Report and Support is a disclosure site, which allow students to inform the University of incidents including domestic abuse.
 You can report anonymously, or you can request to speak to an advisor who is a trained member of the Student Welfare team to discuss your disclosure and options, this will be in line with University's privacy statement and does not instigate the start of formal complaint. Our Counselling, Mental Health, and Wellbeing Service is also available if you need support with your mental health or wellbeing.  

External Support

Relationship abuse can be reported to the Police. This link explains how Greater Manchester Police can support you.

Speaking to the Police is your choice; you can still access support if this isn’t the option you want to take at the moment:

Manchester Women’s Aid support victims of domestic abuse through a helpline, 1-2-1 support, and group work.

Refuge run the National Domestic Abuse Helpline

LGBT Foundation Domestic Abuse Support

If you need help with your mental health, SHOUT provides text-based crisis support. Text SHOUT to 85258. You can also call the Greater Manchester NHS Mental Health Helpline available 24/7 on 0800 953 0285. 

If you choose to disclose relationship abuse via Report and Support to speak to an advisor, they will be able to explore further signposting relevant to you and your identity.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened