Spiking can be carried out by putting alcohol or drugs in another person’s drink or body without their consent. 'Needle spiking' is when somebody is injected with drugs without their consent. 

The signs:
  • A change in the appearance or taste of your drink.
  • Feeling confused.
  • Nausea or vomiting.
  • Hallucinations and paranoia.
  • Disorientation or poor coordination.
  • Loss of ability to communicate properly.
  • Unconsciousness. 
These signs can be difficult to spot, particularly if you are already under the influence of alcohol or other substances as the symptoms are similar. If you start to feel strange or more drunk than you thought you should be, seek help. 

We want all of our students to be able to feel safe when socialising on and off campus. Our University takes such incidents very seriously, support is available if it has happened to you.

University support for students

Report and Support is a disclosure site, which allow students to inform the University of incidents including spiking.
 You can report anonymously, or you can request to speak to an advisor who is a trained member of the Student Welfare team to discuss your disclosure and options, this will be in line with University's privacy statement and does not instigate the start of formal complaint. 

Spiking can be linked to other crimes such as sexual assault and robbery. The university has trained Sexual Violence Liaison Officers who can support you if you have experienced sexual violence.

Our Counselling, Mental Health, and Wellbeing Service is also available if you need support with your mental health or wellbeing.  

External Support 

The act of spiking someone can come under a number of criminal offences and can be reported to the Police. This link explains how Greater Manchester Police can support you.

Speaking to the Police is your choice, you can still access support if this isn’t the option you want to take at the moment: 
  • Victim Support run a helpline, live chat, and have local offices for 1-2-1 support.
  • Drink Aware is a charity which aims to reduce alcohol-related harm. 
  • If you need help with your mental health, SHOUT provides text-based crisis support. Text SHOUT to 85258. You can also call the Greater Manchester NHS Mental Health Helpline available 24/7 on 0800 953 0285. 
If you choose to disclose spiking via Report and Support and speak to an advisor, they will be able to explore further signposting relevant to you.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened